Thursday, June 4, 2009

Snack recipes from the pickiest eater in the city

Calling me a picky eater is an understatement. I pity the waitstaff of any restaurant that my mother and I eat at because we have a list of things that we will and will not eat... and they differ.

I don't eat dairy products as they make me puffy and my tummy hurt, I won't eat refined sugar as it causes inflammation (and wrinkles!), I cut out gluten years back (before falling off the wagon when I moved in with Ben - now we're both not eating flours - smile), and red meat is a no-no for my Pitta constitution (I used to be a vegan but decided I really liked walking down stairs without my legs shaking, but was too disorganized to monitor my protein). But along with specific foods I won't eat, I also have characteristics of foods I won't eat. Like Drying foods (pop corn, rice cakes, too many seeds etc) -- they not only dry out my skin but also are Vata increasing so often make my bloated. Or food that isn't fresh: I don't like food that has been sitting out, uses too many preservatives or is defrosted. According to Ayurveda, food which has been frozen causes dampness and toxicity in our bodies and some Ayurvedic doctors say they may be the cause of many modern diseases.

The problem lies in the fact that I, like many professionals living in the concrete jungle, am incredibly time-poor and usually running from one end of the city to the other with very few options along the way to satisfy my palette. But because I loooove eating, I will not be sacrificing tastiness. I once read a veggie cookbook which suggested snacking on cucumbers which have been drizzled with lime juice (Yum?). So, because of being uber stubbourn, I will simply wait until I can get something I can eat (plus often have enough work to distract me), which can lead to my famous hunger moods.

So, if you are anything like me, below are a few snacks for survival. These options are quick to make, use three ingredients or less, are sugar-free, gluten-free and dairy-free, and won't make you dehydrated (I can't take another dried out protein bar).

Simple Shake

Ripe Banana(s)
Carob Soymilk or Chocolate Rice Milk (I used Edensoy's Carob Soymilk because it doesn't have evaporated cane juice added. And the Rice Dreams Chocolate Flavour was the only other product I could find without sugar -- all Chocolate Soymilks were laden with it)
Cinnamon

I make things real simple and scrap measurements. Pour approximately 3/4 of the cup you are drinking out of with the "milk". Add one banana unless its ginormous, then use half. Add as much cinnamon as your taste prefers. Blend. According to Ayurveda, the cinnamon will lighten the heaviness of the banana to make it less Kapha. You can also throw in a couple of soaked dates (soaking dried fruit and nuts will help you digest them) to this shake for extra sweetness. Dates are excellent for helping you fall asleep, so it makes for nice evening treat.

Old-skool Celery Boats

Celery Stalks
Almond butter
Raisins (ideally soaked)

Remember this treat from Preschool? Mmm. A starch-free, protein-filled snack from the good ol' days when we had time for snack time. Fill as many stalks with Almond butter and then top it off with the raisins. I think we used to call them Ants on a Log and used peanut butter instead of almond. Those were simpler times, before the awareness of peanut allergies and the fact that preserved peanuts are usually candida causing as they have a moldy quality. The celery is also great for anyone with sensitive skin or break outs as it is an excellent blood cleanser.

Stewed Apples

Apples - (Stick with the red variety so they are not tart like Granny Smiths)
Whatever baking spice or spices you have at home: Nutmeg/ Cinnamon/ Cloves

Peel and slice as many apples you want. Sprinkle them with spices. Bake in a dish you can cover at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. This is a nice warming breakfast.

Spicy Almonds

Blanched Almonds
Garam Masala Powder (curry)
Ghee or Olive Oil

Place the almonds on a baking sheet which has been greased with ghee or olive oil. Put them in the oven at 400 degrees (preheated). After 10 minutes, turn them over and very lightly sprinkle the curry powder over them. Leave them for another 5 minutes and take them out. Almonds should be good and browned, if they are not leave them in for another few minutes (or longer if you like them really dark and roasted). You can salt them if you like. I have tried making these with soaked almonds, but though I like to soak most dried foods because it makes them easier to digest and less drying, it makes them a weird texture in this recipe. If you are more of a purist than I, I encourage you to soak them - they simply will not be very crunchy. These almonds are tastiest when right out of the oven, but I usually eat them as an on-the-go snack as they are very portable and easy to eat in transport.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love - love love love - dates; however, lately I've been avoiding them due to a worry of dehydration. For whatever reason, I never considered soaking them...now I will likely have a couple dates (soaked) this evening before bed time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete