Friday, May 29, 2009

Lash Extensions: My Newest Addiction

Those of you who know me know that I am a classic low maintenance, natural girl. I only use natural skincare and cosmetics, I can't stand the feeling of polish on my fingernails, and I never flat iron, colour, or even blow dry my hair. So when I decided to get lash extensions, it felt a little out of character, but as a person with little brows and lashes I have always wanted long, luscious lashes.

It sealed the deal when I saw photos from the ACCE awards in which I looked washed out despite having a lot of make-up on. My friend Lisa looked fabulous in every shot - with great definition around her eyes but not looking too made-up. So when she pssst in my ear and gave me the number of the place she gets her lashes done, and I took it.

Now I dabbled in getting them done a while ago, but because they always ended up clumpy, hard and took out my natural lashes when the synthetic ones would fall out. I also was never wowed by their result because I was told that I couldn't get many put on because my natural lashes were so pathetic and sparse that they could not support many fakes glued to them. But when I saw Rebecca at Kathy Nail and Body Salon, not only was she so much gentler and thorough (taking double the amount of time of the other salons I have gone to), she used a new lash adhesive called Extreme Lash and made my lashes so full that I couldn't help but feel a bit like Tammy Faye Baker (in a good way?). "When I am done, you won't even be able to see your natural lashes," Rebecca said to me.

And she was right. $165 and an hour and a half later, my lashes looked amazing. They actually fit into my no-fuss lifestyle because with my new lashes, I wouldn't need to use as much eye make-up.

While at first I was a little self-conscious (I feared they were too much and that no one had the guts to tell me I looked like a drag queen) - all my girlfriends wanted Rebecca's number, so I figured - the bigger the better. My friend Emma even asked me what I had done differently "...you look more - I don't know...polished?" And I smiled because that is exactly what I was going for.

But to keep batting my lovely lashes, I needed to follow a few simple rules:

1. No oils or oil-based products around my eyes

2. Do not stay in a sauna for more than 10 minutes

3. Pat, don't rub your eyes

4. Come for a touch up in 3-4 weeks ($65 approx)

Unfortunately, I am married to my cleansing milk and face oils (but I tried to avoid the eye area). I also didn't stop going to Hot Yoga three times a week, and I found it hard not to rub my eyes when they were itchy.

So if you, like I, are not made for this kind of maintenance, keep this little tip only for that extra something on special occasions. Wink.

Below - in my lash extensions with no mascara on.



No comments:

Post a Comment