Sunday, June 21, 2009

A-ha moments with Hypothyroidism: Hormone series part two

I have often been convinced that I had hypothyroidism. But Ben just says that I simply have hypochondria.

Because I have poly cystic ovaries and diabetes on both side, it gives me a predisposition to an under active thyroid (these are all Kapha excess disorders). But while my mother has been put on meds for hypothyroid (which she lost interest in taking after a few months), she herself has not gotten any actual proof she has it in her blood work. It is commonly known that the blood testing used to diagnose hypothyroidism does not identify most borderline cases.

But besides the thyroid being central to our hormonal health and overall health, it has a huge influence on how we look. Last week as I was doing a facial on a client, she told me that after many years of extra weight and dry (almost cracking) skin, she discovered she had hypothyroidism. I found this very interesting. She went on to add that she just found out one of her daughters did also and that she had began to develop a double chin due to it. Turkey neck (as it is so eloquently called) is a sign of Kapha excess too, and God knows I have spent many an hour pinching at what I see as a forming double chin (again, Ben calls me delusional when I do this).

So what are the other signs of having an under stimulated thyroid? Water-retention, weight gain, dry skin and lethargy. One problem is that, unlike hyperthyroidism which involves symptoms like acne, weight loss and bulging eyes, hypothyroidism's symptoms sound like how I felt for most of first-year university. Hell, sounds like how I felt for most of the winter. The other is how inaccurate testing can be. But what is a girl to do when this could be the key reason she has under eye bags (water retention) and the inability to lose weight?

Online many sites have recommended an at-home way to diagnose using a regular thermometer and testing yourself through the day. See link for details. http://allonhealth.com/hypothyroidism-test.htm

My Ayurvedic doctor, Dr Sharma, recommended asking my GP for a series of tests including a thyroid scan. From here, he said he could tell which kinds of thyroid hormones are being under-produced and could give dietary and herbal guidance based on this.

And when you discover this, there are many options. I recommend natural thyroid extract (these are animal-derived so you must be comfortable with consuming animal products). But of course, I always try to go as natural and as simple as I can with any treatment to avoid side-effects. I was horrifed to discover that another client of mine had a hypothyroid condition after surgically removing her thyroid because this was the recommended solution to her previous status as have hyperthyroid. Now she was taking medication to balance her out. As my diabetic and probably hypothyroid grandmother would say: "Ai-ya!"

Of course, starting with an experienced Ayurvedic or Naturopathic doctor who can assess your individual body and how to re-balance it is best (email me if you need referrals). But the most important thing to do is confirm whether you have hypothyroidism because it can save you a lot of grief trying to find solutions for your skin and body.

No comments:

Post a Comment