Friday, June 26, 2009

Cyster soul, Cyster Soul: Hormone Series Part three

There have been many a day in which a regular client will lean close into me and whisper "..some of my skin issues my be due to the fact I have something called polycystic ovaries." And usually two things pop into my head - first: why didn't you tell me earlier? it would give me better insight to your skin and body, and second: Sista, join the club.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, to those of you who don't know, is when cysts occur on the ovaries because a females egg does not break through the ovarian tissue to travel to the fallopian tubes. The imbalance of hormones which occur with PCOS also inhibits egg growth.

These cysts are said to produce a small amount of male hormones causing some very unpretty side effects. This includes hair where you don't want it (excess body hair), a lack of hair where you want it (thinning on the scalp) and difficulty losing weight. When my gyno explained this to me he basically made it sounds like I was going to turn into a man. But I never did. While I did not show these traditional signs, I did experience the amenorrhea (loss of periods), insulin resistance (i am also helped by the diabetic grandmas i have on both sides), and of course my struggle with acne. You can't tell, but I am shaking my fist right now and typing with only one hand. And yes, most of my clients who have let me in on their club membership have done so because their skin has broken out badly. But don't be discouraged because we have helped a lot of these clients find relief, and like anything you need to know what is out of balance to help rebalance.

Now, little is known about the cause of PCOS or even which hormones must be examined. I think it is because there are probably a multitude of reasons. Upon my visit to Albuquerque to see Dr Lad speak (where I actually am now), he went on one of his delicious tangents and touched on the issue of PCOS. He said that doshically there are many causes, while cysts and accumulation are a Kapha symptom of excess, this can actually be caused by both vitiation of Pitta and Vata. sometimes it begins with Vata pushing Pitta pushing Kapha. That is to say, that an excess of Vata prompts an excess of another and another dosha. I think this is why PCOS (and other hormone and fertility issues) has been so much more common in the modern age. Women are stressed. We imbalance our Vata or pushing ourselves aggravating our Pitta and cause our Kapha to become dysfunctional. I also notice that in many cases of acne in a PCOS client, that their skin is terribly inflamed and dehydrated.

In these cases it is very important to prescribe a cooling, soothing regime - not a disinfecting, drying regimen. Remember, acne itself is inflammation. it is also important to keep the skin hydrated because you must try to prevent scarring, and scarring occurs mostly in weak, dried out skin types. If you must use an anti-bacterial because blemishes are looking like they have a lot of pus and infection, we must opt for a Lavender or Witch hazel hydrosol with is alcohol-free and also an anti-inflammatory. But if the pimples are most cystic acne pustules (break outs which do not come to a head but are a large, painful, fluid filled cyst - usually in the chin and jaw line) then it can really only be pacified internally. You can apply arnica to it to increase circulation and disperse the accumulation of fluid, but only if it is a cyst and you cannot see a white head on it. the other option is to sterilize a pin and prick it then extract it. I personally do not advise this unless you have professional assistance, or are willing to risk scarring.

Like everything in this world, my practice has been very circular. I teach my clients about their skin and bodies and they also teach me. So, many clients have actually given me advice on how I can managed my PCOS with treatments and lifestyle. While once client raved about her acupuncturist, another informed me about the wonders of Castor oil packs (Castor oil packs are when you apply Castor oil and heat to your lower abdomen to break up and eliminate cysts. Castor oil in Ayurveda is a laxative and Kapha reducing oil).

I also have heard about the necessity of what seems to me as a Kapha reducing diet and exercise regime. This includes, low glucose/ sugar, low carbs and lots of cardio work outs. I have tried all of these suggestions and found them beneficial. But I find stress reduction the most effective.

And while, its difficult to know how much progress choosing a more natural approach, I haven't still haven't turned into a man (fingers crossed).

No comments:

Post a Comment