Friday, July 3, 2009

Leaving on a Jet Plane...and landing with beautiful skin

I am flying home today- and while I actually enjoy my time armed with only an ipod and a few good books- I hate what it does to my skin.

Air travel is incredibly drying, and between the increase in Vata (through excess movement) and the re-circulated air, I usually end up with dehydrated skin, some mild swelling and a few break outs. In my acne hay-day, I would say that the moment I stepped off that plane I knew a few blemishes would have popped up.

For those of your who haven't heard the Pure + Simple credo: dehydration is the cause of almost every skin-imbalance - so treat this and you'll be on your way to flawless skin.

But this time I am going to be prepared. Here are my tips for globetrotters to stay gorgeous:

1. Oil yourself from head to toe. The most important thing to do is oil your body down. Since Vata is increased Sesame oil is best as it promotes circulation, is warming and is rich in texture. And when I say oil yourself from head to toe, I mean it - every inch of it. From the scalp to the soles of the feet. I even apply a rich cream mask over top of the oil on my face (one that looks like a moisturizer so you cannot see it. While I may look like a grease ball, I won't look like a pizza face.
2. Take a ginger bath. A ginger bath before and after the flight is ideal. Not only will it nourish your body and support your immune system, but it will increase your circulation (and remember that flying impedes circulation making us puff out and swell). You do this with 1 part ginger powder and 1 part baking soda - I usually use a cup of each. Taking ginger capsules also helps to prevent jet lag as it pacifies Vata.
3. Wear pressure socks. I bought a pair of these at a trade show in Vancouver and they hugged me all the way home. Pressure socks are great for flights as they will prevent edema (swolleness). I try to wear them even around the city as they will help prevent varicose and spider veins. They come in a variety of colours and materials...even some sexy stockings.
4. Take oils internally. After flying to Australia and breaking out massively with eczema all over my face from the extreme dehydration, I started taking flax seed oil capsules when I travel. They helped me a lot when I was backpacking and flying all over the map, preventing dryness and also regulation my bowels. But you don't have to be limited to flax seed oil, you can take fish oils or evening primrose etc. depending on the contingencies of your own body. Here again, I am pretty liberal taking more before a flight than I would on a daily basis.
5. Stay away from drying foods. When travelling, stay away from Vata aggravating foods. These foods will only dry out your intestines which will not only dry out your skin, but possibly constipate you and make you feel bloated. So, anything dry is off-limits: crackers, dried fruit, bread, dense meat (avoid meat in general if you can), anything that depletes water in our bodies instead of hydrating it. I find this difficult because I used to like to travel with granola bars or dry-fruit bars as they are portable and convenient, but now I only pack fruits and veggies as they are full of cellular water. Cooked foods are better for pacifying Vata, but good luck sneaking a pot of stew past security. I suggest a nice warm bowl of oatmeal the morning you leave, and a nice hearty soup when you land.

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a ginger bath! When you say ginger powder do you mean the type that I would bake with? Or do you use something special for baths?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can use what you bake with -- as it is simply dry ginger powder. But you can get organic ginger powder at any herb store -- and possibly the health food store. Yes, its a nice, warming bath.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I saw some ginger powder sold in an convenient zip lock package at Noah's Health Foods Store (noahsnaturalfoods.ca)

    ReplyDelete