Friday, September 4, 2009

Ending up with egg on my face

I have not been sleeping well lately. I think its the Vata time of year. Vata is the air element which governs movement in around our bodies, propelling change and activity. Summer moving into fall is a time of change and transition - a join in time if you will - and during this time we will have a tendency to feel stimulated, restless and possibly overwhelmed.

Well, my skin has exhibited this accurately as it looks tired. And today - as its my day off and I'm feeling in need of some rejuvenation, what better way pamper myself than to do a home-made mask?

As a Beauty Aficionado (Self-proclaimed), I feel its my duty to experiment in the kitchen with fresh, easy-to-do treatments. And despite Ben getting confused to why I have a litre of Apple cider vinegar at the side of the tub (hair rinse) and even more perplexed with the sesame oil next to my toothbrush (oil gargling), its unveiled some very interesting discoveries.

So, feeling a bit like an unmade bed of a person, I pump up Eurythmics and look around to see what I have in my fridge.

Avocados? Too messy for today.
Bananas? Didn't really see results last time
Eggs? Perfect!

Its decided - I will do an Egg White Mask. Egg whites are full of protein and contain Lysozyme, which has been said to account for digesting bacterial cell walls, marry this with the claims its fantastic for absorbing oil (what I did it for in the past) - and its the perfect little skin pack.

And its as easy as 1-2-3

1. Crack egg into bowl separating out the yolk. And at first crack you feel good that its fresh, preservative-free and creates no unbiodegrable waste.
2. Apply onto skin. You will find one egg more than enough - to do your face, neck and decolletage.
3. Wait. Sweet Dreams are made of this - doo -doo -doo.

Now, you can't do much while you have this mask on - and while I usually like to multi-task, leaving masks on while I work, clean and cook - this mask is so tightening that it feels like you are on a rollercoaster ride, wind suctioning at your skin. You move your facial muscles, impeding the ability to speak, taste or wince at all with it on.

The egg whites will dry clear and look like you have saran on your skin. You will know it is done when there is no trace of wetness on the surface(15 mins approx.). I advise to wash it off in the shower so you can be thorough as it takes a few rinses to remove. After the treatment my skin felt so much smoother and my pores tighter. The tiredness to my complexion was relieved as the mask seemed more hydrated as well.

Now, I have read reviews in which people claim it erased their wrinkles and diminished their pores - and I definitely won't say its that effective. It is a mask which only treats the superficial layers of our skin. But for pennies per application and the no-fuss freshness, I certainly don't mind ending up with egg on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment