Friday, November 13, 2009

Drinking more water: A 30 day challenge (groan)

I hate drinking water. There. I said it.
But as someone who is both health-conscious and vain, I know that it is essential to my well-being. Water makes up 70% of our body's composition and this translates into the healthiness of our tissues.

From my experience as an esthetician, I know that dehydrated skin is the cause of almost all skin ailments. Without proper hydration, our skin weakens its barrier function and ability to repair, triggering eczema break outs, blemishes and wrinkles. Wrinkles are simply "skin wounds from being stretched and creased which have not had the ability to heal", according to former head chemist of Estee Lauder. And the inhibition of skin-regeneration due to dryness causes premature signs of aging. This also comes in the form of dreaded sun-damage as dried out skin is less resilient and cannot heal and fade pigmentation or scars as easily.

Glug-glug-glug should be our new beauty mantra - and, as I wrote in my beauty book "Beauty 2.0", soon to be re-launched from Mc Arthur and Company as "Beauty: Pure + Simple", we should be drinking between 1.5 and 3 litres per day. I will be the first to admit that often I am not following my own advice and have the forehead lines forming to show it. I have gotten lazy, and now that I have cleared up my terrible acne, I do not have such a visible monitor of when I am, and am not taking care of myself. This makes it so easy to slip into bad habits.

Well no more! I'm going to swallow my own words (pun totally intended) and make drinking 2 litres of water (or more) per day second nature. They say that if you repeat a behaviour 27 times it becomes custom. So I will do this for 30 days to ensure full efficacy. By the end of this, I should be a regularly guzzling down water with glee, full of hydration and donning more dewy, more glowing skin!

This little project will hopefully inspire others and offer helpful tips to making water both more palatable and convenient. I will not be including juice or sweet additives, but will be testing out tasty new teas, supplements full of vitality, and possibly a squeeze of lemon to take in more water.

On my mark...Get set...Sip!

7 comments:

  1. It's funny that you're writing about this cause I just went through a similar thing, were I had gotten out of the habit of drinking lots of water. Happy to report though, after some forcing, that I am back on track and drinking faster than I can fill my glass.

    Hope your new habit sticks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to join you! My office is SO dry, and I have definitely fallen off track as of late (with the congested and irritated skin to prove it!). There are days where I drink NO water at work, and feel so heavy and lethargic by the end of it. I also noticed that when I drink less water I tend to snack more, which does not bode well for someone desk bound 8-hours-a-day.

    Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps one of the best things that I got from Beauty 2.0 was to drink more water. During my facials I had always been told that my skin was dehydrated; something that I found hard to believe given the fact that I have oily/acne prone skin. But after reading Beauty 2.0 I doubled my water intake and my breakouts became significantly reduced.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the past month I've traveled quite a bit...Sunday I flew from Toronto to San Francisco..and let me just say that I hate the air on flights. Ick. It leaves my skin feeling so dry and blotchy. So needless to say I kept your words of wisdom in mind and drank 2.5 litres of water on my flight. I even brought a little pure + simple eye cream with me, which I dabbed around my eyes every hour or so. The person next to me likely thought I was crazy (with bladder issues) but I felt great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't drink enough water either! I try to force myself, as a Flight Attendant I realy try but the most is litre when I working which is far less than I should. I do have other tricks for flights but the water intake would make the biggest difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I hope you guys will consider doing this challenge with me... may be easier with a team!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to do this too! Do you think it's okay to sometimes have perrier as part of the daily goal?

    ReplyDelete